0050

 

Ideally, there shouldn't be any conditions for making art.

Having conditions can also be seen as making excuses. In music, I never make an excuse: I just come up with ideas and I pursue them to see if they are viable. I don't say to myself, "Well, if somebody will listen to what I'm doing then I'll make more music." Ironically, I seem to be saying to myself, "If somebody bought my artwork then I'll make more artwork." 
 
I've come to the realization that while I have the desire to make art, the effort required doesn't always have a satisfying payoff. All I would do is take a photograph of it, document it, and then put it somewhere on the internet, share it out on social media for perhaps a few hits and Likes, then put it in the archive. I prefer to spend my time on music because there's no effort involved and it doesn't make any objects, and I don't have to make excuses for it, such as "If somebody will listen to it then I'll make some more music."  It is an autotelic activity, done purely for intrinsic rewards. It's a way towards a more meaningful life.

Art-making shouldn't involve excuses. If you have excuses, then you have to ask yourself why it is that you're making excuses. If it's easier to do nothing, then do nothing. Think about why you have a desire but never act on it, or keep having the desire in second thoughts.
 
There's an interesting passage in Paul Bloom's book The Sweet Spot on the negotiation of effort versus rewards:
 
[There] is a theory of why effort is often, unpleasant. The phenomenology of getting tired doesn't reflect a diminishing resource, rather, it is about growing opportunity cost. This feeling of difficulty is a signal that there are better things to do elsewhere. This theory has the promise of explaining why only some activities wear us out. Looking out the window doesn’t feel effortful because this mental activity doesn’t soak up capacities that you could be using for other things; there are no opportunity costs. Listening to classical music doesn’t exhaust me because I can do it while I check my email. Compare this with moving boxes or adding numbers in your head. These are tiring, because they take you away from other activities, and so they claw away at you. The fatigue of effort is a neural reflection of FOMO.
 
Lots of artists are now making mostly digital art and trying to sell them as NFTs, as the real intention seems to be mostly wealth and popularity as opposed to aesthetics. Art shouldn't take too long as "there are better things to do elsewhere." I always look to art legends like Jasper Johns, or any elderly artist or composer continuing to make art into their 80s, 90s, or even 100s. (Elliot Carter was still composing and doing at 103).

But even if you're making digital art that takes a few minutes or hours to make, and it pushes you along, perhaps while you're trying to be an art celebrity you'll move on to make some art that takes days or months or years.

Recently, I watched the the documentary The Lost Leonardo. (I still don't think it's a Leonardo, and I have different reasons for that), but the point is is that things can redound to excessive politics. Once the groupthink sets in then it's more difficult to determine the provenance from a purely historical standpoint--not just to appraise it. That's what the NFT world is essentially. The Blockchain is the only provenance that matters. So in 500 years that entry will still be there (maybe), and it won't be tampered with (maybe). But if the master file is missing, and all you have is a thumbnail, Christie's probably would still auction it because of the mystery and the money.
 
"The emergence of NFTs brought the financialization of art to a climax. NFTs exist only in theory. An NFT is not a material entity. It comes into being through a financial transaction, in which the purchaser acquires ownership rights to a digital image otherwise available to anyone with an Internet connection. Anyone can view the artwork, but only the buyer of the NFT can own it. The pleasure of ownership is now an aesthetic experience. The blue-chip auction houses fell over themselves in their rush to validate digital art NFTs: these days money talks and walks (and runs) too. An artwork’s total lack of physical existence is evidently no obstacle to its acquisition of financial value." https://quillette.com/2022/03/09/against-de-materialization-tom-wolfe-in-the-age-of-nfts/  

So why make anything, especially if it takes days or weeks of work? Why not just copyright a color?

The NFT world operates on the condition of being overblown. Perhaps it's fun and exciting for some people, so they don't have to be pushed to make something. That's a good thing overall, but can you make something with the same motivation just for the sake of itself and for yourself?
 
But then there's the elephant in the room: meaning. One has to sort all of that out, which then creates conditions for making art and we're back where we started. NFTs cut to the chase to say it's ultimately about money and celebrity, the most popular form of meaning at the moment.

Popular Posts

Image

0493

0816